Monday, July 25, 2005

"time keeps on slipping . . . "

"time keeps on slipping into the future" - Steve Miller Band

It's been a crazy week and time management is not my best skill. I feel like I've just barely kept my head above the surface. Each day has its own set of tasks and expectations. There are kids to care for and discipline, a house (& lawn) to maintain, papers to grade, class preparations to complete, a God to worship, work goals to be accomplished, a wife to serve and spend quality time with, church activities to participate in, a blog to write, a body to exercise and care for, and hobbies to indulge in. How is one to prioritize and balance all these demands on time? I'm struggling with this question.

As it is, sleep has become an increasingly precious commodity. I'm up at 5:20am and down between 10-11pm.

Its seems that all our modern day, time-saving devices have only freed us to cram more into a day and increased our stress load.

One area in particular that I struggle with is how and where to fit in personal hobbies and interests (board games with friends, listening to music, reading a book or playing computer games). What is an appropriate amount of time to devote to such activities? How does one come up with a budget to manage time? If time is precious, how does one prioritize one's interests?

I don't easy have answers. I believe that my roles as husband, father, teacher, worker, worshiper, etc . . . should take priority over personal indulgence. But my actions aren't always consistent with these beliefs.

Anyone have any thoughts. Please feel free to leave a comment.

1 comment:

Scott Rushing said...

Having no children myself, there's no way on earth I'm going to give you advice on time management. However, I will say that from what I know of you, I think you're doing ok, and probably being a little hard on yourself.