Thursday, April 20, 2006

Bluegrass Worship




It is rare that I buy an album without trying it on for size beforehand. I made an exception with this little gem by Greg Adkins and Friends simply called The Bluegrass Service.

Greg hails from my hometown of Knoxville, TN, and is an aspiring independent artist. The album is inspired by actual bluegrass worship services at his church. The album combines old bluegrass standards like I'll Fly Away, I Saw the Light and When the Roll is Called up Yonder with newer "alt-worship" numbers by Michael Roe (Lutheran Hymn), The Lost Dogs (Pray Where You Are), and Jonathan Rundman (Forgiveness Waltz). For good measure the band includes covers of Bob Dylan, Gillian Welch, and Bill Mallonee, but perhaps the best number is Greg's original, Uncle Joe's Bunions - a hilarious yet profound send up of prayer meetings everywhere.

If modern worship albums are beginning to sound all the same, pick this one up and give it a whirl. You won't regret it. I know I don't.

Greg also has a blog on the emergent church movement at www.emergingminister.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds interesting. I'll have to pick that one up.