Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Dwight Ozard 1963-2005

Writer, editor, culture critic, social activist, and self-proclaimed "worldly" Christian, Dwight Ozard, passed away this week after a 4-year battle with multiple myeloma.

I was first exposed to his work through the organization Evangelicals for Social Action (ESA). At Cornerstone 1997, they sponsored a series of seminars on music and culture and released a compilation cd to promote their magazine Prism.

I can't say that I knew Dwight personally, but for the last 4 years I've followed his battle with cancer through his writing (Mike Roe of the 77s would forward those e-mails to the listserve). His writing always educated me to the struggles cancer brings and stirred in me a compassion for those who have that horrendous disease. But he didn't want his readers to just feel sorry for him - he consistently prodded us to take that compassion and spread it around to the sick, the poor, the hurting all around us. In one of his earliest updates he says
And even as I've felt so at home, I've wondered about those who get news like this and have no support base, who don't feel at home in the church. I've thought, especially, about how people with HIV-AIDS must feel--and if they get the same sense of embrace that I received. No need to preach here--I just invite you to think about that with me, and when you pray for me, remember too to pray for those on the margins of our society, those who have no family, no support, and no love.
You can read about his battle along with his other writings at his website.

To many, Dwight was a bit of a "evangelical" rebel in the vein of Tony Campolo. I know,I didn't always agree with his points of view or his politics, but I'm convinced that he was good for the church. Sometimes calling us to greater levels of compassion and at other times holding up a mirror so that we could see just how silly and irrelevant we can be. I for one am grateful for the small impact his life has had on mine.

Now he is home with his maker - free to rest after an arduous battle and enjoy a grand reunion with all the saints that preceded him.

No comments: