Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Supporting our troops . . .

On my way in to work this morning I was flipping through the radio stations and happened on this report on NPR Group Helps Injured Marines Return to Civilian Life. Normally I flip on through such reports because of the left-leaning political agenda behind them, but this one was different. It moved me. Here are a group of people making a difference in the lives of men & women who've put themselves in danger's way for us and tasted what it means to sacrifice. I don't know if these people have a religious motivation behind what they do or not, but I salute them. Check out their website Semper Fi Fund.

This got me thinking about what I can do to support our troops. Prayer is a good start - I'm not very disciplined in this, but I could certainly do more. Speaking out in support of the troops and in support of their work would be another way. I don't want to wear my patriotism on my sleeve (or on my car bumper) - nor do I blindly support any action taken by my government. I, however, do sincerely believe their cause to be just and noble. I'm proud of them, the work they do and the way in which they represent this nation. So how else can I support the troops? Perhaps with monetary support for funds like the one mentioned above. Or how about volunteering with a support group - visiting veterans at the local VA? I don't know what I might do, but I want to be more mindful of these men and women, more thankful for them, and more supportive.

No comments: