Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Confessions of a former virgin


This weekend, The Forty-Year Old Virgin opened in theaters across the country. Peter Chattaway offers both a testimonial and an interesting review of the film at Christianity Today Movies. While I probably won’t go see this film, it does raise questions about our cultures obsession with sex and the stigma associated the “V-word”.

While, thankfully, I did not have to wait forty years (only 24 years, 10 months, 17 days and 19 hours ;-), I certainly have felt the peer pressure, stigma and temptations associated with being an adult virgin. I’ll confess that I did lie about my virginal status at least once during my high school days, although I don’t think I convinced anyone. Attending an evangelical college like Taylor helped in that most of my peers were also virgins. Nonetheless, the pressure and temptation to have sex outside of marriage was enormous.

The benefits of waiting until my marriage to have sex far outweigh the social stigma I endured as a virgin. Isn’t ironic that in the wake of the sexual revolution, sex has become dangerous and even lethal. Yet in a monogamous marriage relationship between two people who waited for their wedding night, sex is safe, doesn’t require latex, and is dare I say “Spectacular!”

1 comment:

Jeff said...

In high school and college, since I hung around the "conservative christian" group it wasn't a stigma to be a virgin, thank goodness, and when I started to work at CNN no one teased me and actually said they respected me for it, but then I just decided, "forget it, I'm tired of the V word, let's get it over with!" Good times.