Sunday, November 12, 2006

mid-term election reaction

I voted early and I encouraged everyone I know to vote regardless of their political affiliations. I’m a big believer in both civic involvement and the will of the people. And from what I can tell, the electorate turned out in force and made their will known. The outcome did not surprise me greatly. Otherwise, I feel that the GOP wasted its opportunities over the last 6 years. Change is healthy. I just wish the Democrats didn’t have to be the beneficiaries. The people need more choices!

As for myself, I didn’t vote a straight GOP ticket. I’m glad that Bob Corker won. I voted for the None of the Above Candidate in the Governor’s race as protest vote and I voted for the Constitution Party candidate in the House race (which was virtually uncontested). Of course, after further study, I don’t think I will endorse the Constitution Party. My friend voted Libertarian in Texas. I may look into them next time around. I’m not sure there is a party out there that fully represents my thinking.

I think my political philosophy is changing. In recent years, I’ve been cynical in my support of most GOP candidates. I believe that they court the evangelical Christian vote, but that the party’s values aren’t fully consistent with Christian spirituality. I’m not convinced that abortion can be curbed through legislation. I’m not sure that the defense of traditional marriage should be the number one issue for Christians. Does the GOP truly care about the growing gap between rich and poor? Is what is good for GM truly good for the country? Should corporate lobbyists have more influence in Washington than the citizenry? How about reforming the pork barrel spending? Overhauling the tax code to eliminate breaks for corporations and the wealthy? And I haven’t mentioned social security?

I hope and pray along with the change in power, we can have a change away from power plays and government as usual.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been pleased with The Republicans in a long time myself However, their philosophies are closer to waht I believe. I just wishe they acted them out. However, every single p[olitical aptitude test I've ever take has always labeled me as a Libertarian. Be careful though, they have some pretty wacky ideas as well.