Thursday, September 01, 2005

notes from the road

Well I have nothing to complain about in comparison to those folks on the Gulf Coast. Katrina passed over Nashville, but left little impact on the area. The biggest impact is being felt at the gas pump. We certainly picked the wrong time of year to take a road trip.

So here I am in Monrovia, Maryland at my in-laws place. Gas prices along our route varied by as much as $0.30 a gallon (the highest we paid was $3.09 per gal.) and we are now facing much higher prices now that we've hit the metro Baltimore/D.C. area.

Seeing all the images from Katrina's aftermath have evoked a wide variety of emotions ranging from compassion for the victims and amazement at the destruction to anger at those who turn this horrific event into means for personal gain. I can't begin to get a true handle on the scope of the devastation, much less gather my thoughts into some sort of intelligent response. I guess that will come later.

I have a few days of rest and relaxation, so I hope to blog more regularly for the next few days. See you around.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I drove over from Atlanta to Memphis on Wednesday and back today, and gas prices were all over the place. Understandably, Wednesday night Miss. had the highest by about 30-40 cents. But by today Miss. was the lowest, always under $3 a gallon, while Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia all easily cleared that mark. What's the deal, yo?