Thursday, May 10, 2007

daring to change the world

I just returned from hearing Dr. Muhammad Yunus speak at Vanderbilt's senior day lecture. Dr. Yunus earned his Ph.D. at Vandy about the same time I was born and he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006.

I find his ideas of microfinance and social business to be fascinating. He has put into realworld econoomic practice the old adage, "give a man a fish and he eats for a day; teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime." I also believe that his methods can and should be used by Christians as we seek to reconcile every man, woman and child to God.

Watch this video and then check out more information on Dr. Yunus.

1 comment:

Scott Rushing said...

Has Dave Ramsey spoken on Yunus? I would be curious to hear his opinion about microcredit.

I have read an article on Yunus in one of the Vanderbilt magazines that get mailed to me every so often. I agree with you that his story and theories are fascinating.

I have come to the place where I can feel free to criticize capitalism and free market economy, while also recognizing that it is the best economic system for producing wealth that the world has ever seen.