Monday, February 26, 2007

Oscar Review

I managed a respectable 14 of 24, but missed Best Picture. I did predict a few surprises, most notably Best Foreign Language Film and Best Supporting Actor. I finished in second place in both Mark's birdbath (3-way tie) and Jeff's pool, and I enjoyed following Jeff's blog commentary during the broadcast.

Correct: 1Best Director, 2Best Actor, 3Best Actress, 4Best Supporting Actor, 5Best Supporting Actress, 6Best Original Screenplay, 7Best Adapted Screenplay, 8Cinematography, 9Art Direction, 10Best Makeup, 11Sound Mixing, 12Best Visual Effects, 13Best Foreign Language Film, and 14Best Documentary Feature

I was 6 of 7 in the majors, 5 of 8 in the technical, 2 of 2 in the writing, 1 of 1 in the Political Statement category (aka Best Documentary), and struck out in the animated (Cars was sideswiped and Hoodwinked should have been nominated!), music (Note: multiple nominations from one film always cancel each other out) and short form categories.

UPDATE: Last year I correctly predicted 14 as well (3rd place in both pools), and in 2005 I correctly predicted 13 (1st in Jeff's pool and 2nd in Mark's). My best performance was in 2004 with 17 of 24 (the year LOTR:ROTK won everything).

No comments: