Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Nord's Top Twenty Songs of 2006

This list is not intended to be comprehensive nor limited to songs released in 2006. It summarizes my favorite new music acquired this past year. Feel free to make your own recommendations in the comments. Honorable mention to The Violet Burning's Drop Dead cd which for some reason I have yet to pick up. Shame on me. I'm also interested in Andrew Osenga's The Morning and Robert Randolph's Colorblind.

20. Suspension – Mae
Released in 2005, CT Music included the album The Everglow in their best of 2005.

19. Boy in the BubbleGreg Adkins
Greg Adkins was one of the biggest surprises of 2006. I've never been a huge fan of modern folk, yet Greg offers great lyrical insight into Christian sprirituality that reminds me of Terry Taylor or Mark Heard. And Greg also hails from my hometown of Knoxville.

18. Roll Away the Stone – Ashley Cleveland
A cover of of the 1970 Leon Russell song. Ashley Rocks!

17. The Coldest Heart – The Classic Crime
One of the surprises from the Tooth n Nail compilation One Dark Summer.

16. Only One Bum in Corona Del Mar – The Lost Dogs
A Terry Taylor rock opera in one act that is simultaneously laugh out loud funny and thought provoking.

15. Uncle Joe’s Bunions – Greg Adkins
This is the only original song on Greg's Bluegrass Service cd and it beautifully captures the oldtime religion prayer meetings that drive me absolutely nuts.

14. Good Monsters – Jars of Clay
The title track from this band's newest cd. I've become a big fan of this group that refuses to stay the same.

13. Paperthin Hymn – Anberlin
Another great rockin' track from One Dark Summer. I intend to check out more from this band.

12. All My Tears – Jars of Clay
Americana meets pop rock.

11. Here It Goes Again – O.K. Go
The treadmill video song. Infectious pop rock at its best. Great for working out.

10. Studying Politics – Emery
I first heard this song on Zionred's myspace page. I love the intro.

09. Lutheran Hymn – Greg Adkins
Michael Roe is one of my favorite songwriters and performers, yet Greg's version of Lutheran Hymn is better than the original. Some killer mandolin playing may have something to do with it.

08. Work – Jars of Clay
CT Music declares the new Jars cd Good Monsters their best album of 2006 and I'm inclined to agree.

07. Talk – Coldplay
This song would have probably been my favorite of 2005 had I taken the time to check out X&Y earlier than I did.

06. Ready or Not – Ashley Cleveland
Ashley sings the blues better than any female vocalist I'm aware of and Kenny Greenberg plays some great licks on Ashley's newest album.

05. Get Me Ready – The Lost Dogs
The Lost Dogs released their first new material in three years and this song just rocks. I think it features some of Terry Taylor's best vocal work ever.

04. Typical – Mute Math
I love the guitar hook to this song as well as the live video clip from Cornerstone.

03. Dead Man (Carry Me) – Jars of Clay
Quirky alt-pop that captures the struggles of living out Christian spirituality while living in a corruptable vessel.

02. That’s Where Jesus Is – The Lost Dogs
The Lost Dogs write a fantastic call to arms Christ followers to care about social justice issues. This song dovetailed nicely with Rob Bell's New Exodus series and the Starving Jesus tour.

01. Control – Mute Math
Typical may be the most popular song off of Mute Math's premiere album, but I love this one both musically and lyrically. "Take control of the atmosphere...Such a beautiful surrender" Great stuff.

No comments: